It felt more like a fall day than the tail end of summer here in New England. This always gets me ready to hole up in the kitchen and start cooking comfort food. And, my youngest son was on the same page, requesting his all time favorite meal, beef stroganoff.
Going healthy has definitively cut into the amount of beef I eat and just thinking about a big bowl of creamy stroganoff over extra-wide noodles increases my belt size. So, I had to figure out a way to break this down and still keep it simple. Here we go…
Stout Beef Stroganoff
1 pound beef loin
7.5 oz container of sliced mushrooms
1 can condensed mushroom soup
1/2 cup low fat sour cream
10 oz stout beer (drink the 2 oz left in the bottle while cooking)
1 medium onion chopped
4 cups fresh baby spinach (I typically just grab 2 big handfuls)
2 Tbs chopped garlic
1/2 tsp powdered garlic
1/2 tsp powdered onion
1 beef bouillon cube
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
Two pinches kosher salt
8 grinds of pepper
- Cut up beef into 1-inch cubes and add these to Dutch oven with all the ingredients EXCEPT the spinach.
- Place in 350 degree oven covered for 2 hours or until beef is fork tender.
- Take from oven and add in spinach. Mix in so that it cooks in the hot sauce
- Serve over extra wide egg noodles
Things to know:
I tend to make my stroganoff with lots of sauce. If you prefer less sauce, you can reduce the amount of stout beer, or you can add more beef. If I run out or don’t have extra wide egg noodles, I’ll ladle over penne, rotini, or rigatoni.
If you want to make this from scratch (no canned mushroom soup) it is easy enough but more work.
- Increase the amount of mushrooms to 10 oz.
- Saute in olive oil with 1 Tbs chopped garlic, large pinch of kosher salt, and ground pepper. Remove from pan when cooked.
- Add 1 Tbs of olive oil to pan and lightly heat. Add in 1 Tbs flour and incorporate until starting to bubble. Turn down heat and add in 1/2 cup chicken/beef/vegetable stock. Mix until thick and bubbling. Add in 1/2 cup milk slowly and incorporate until fully mixed in.
- Add back mushrooms.
Calories and nutrition calculated through MyFitnessPal recipe builder – nutritional information directional only.
Serving of Stout Beef Stroganoff 271 calories
Serving of Extra-wide Egg Noodles 1.75 cups 210 calories